Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Toddler Story Time

Yesterday Whitney and I checked out the Ames Public Library. It has a great kids area with lots of books, toys, chairs, and even computers for toddlers to "read" books. Every day they have story time, geared for children ages 1-4ish. We went today and made it 10 of 20 minutes. Not too bad. Besides teeny tiny babies there with their older sibling, Whitney was the youngest toddler there. The storyteller was great, singing songs and using a bear puppet to help read, but Whitney wasn't sure what was going on. When a song would finish she would say "all done" and point to the door. After a few songs and in the middle of a book after she said all done a little too loudly and shrieked, I decided we were indeed all done. We'll give it a try once a week to see if it gets any better. If not, we'll do it when she is older. We checked out a few books for her, which I thought was weird at first, checking out books for a 16 month old, but she really likes books and new ones to look at. Her favorite right now being Dora and Backpack go to the Library that I found for 50 cents at a garage sale. Did I mention toddler story time is super busy? There were lots of kids and of course an adult with them. Maybe I'll be able to make a few friends??? Along with lots of kids are lots of germs. I was WAY grossed out today to see a little girl with super red eyes, pinkeye maybe?, red bumps on her arms and then she sneezed on some of the books. Hello!! I know it's hard to to stay home all the time but don't take your kid out for recreational activities when they are blatantly sick. I washed our hands as soon as we left and sanitized the books we checked out.

Exciting news for us is that our house in Missouri rented!! It was for sale or rent, which ever happend first. I went against the advice of a friend (Stefanie if you're reading this) and went with a certain company we'll call PPM. Right off the bat they started out with poor advertising service and laziness but I stuck with them because our neighbors used them and liked them and they have a number of houses on our street that have only sat empty for like a max of two days. Not our house. It has been empty for six weeks. I think they didn't like me because I wanted too much from them, which I didn't, so I think they had it out for me and purposly didn't market our house. Okay, not really, but I can tell myself that to make me feel better. I finally got the gumption to fire PPM and go with a new company, and ta daaa!!! our house rented!! I trying not to play the should have game ( should have used a different company right away, should have rented to that guy who wanted to go directly through us, etc. ) and be happy that our house is "paid for" for the next year. The couple moves in tomorrow!! Let's just hope they love our house as much as we did and take good care of it.

My pregnancy is going well. I'll do a belly shot next week after I FINALLY get to my first OB appt here in Ames. I'll be 19 weeks so I'm hoping they do an ultra sound. Yes, we will be finding out the sex. I'm really growing now and am officially in maternity pants. I can finally say within the last few days that I am really feeling this baby move now. Which is a little earlier than Whitney, but not much. I am cutting back on my sugar intake, not for pregnancy diabetes or anything, just for my well being. When I got my second trimester appetite back I just went crazy, literally crazy, on chocolate and sugary candy. Like insane amounts that I would snack on all day, and then I wasn't all that hungry for a good meal. I told myself it was okay, that I was making up for lost calories in the first trimester and I'm pregnant and entitled to eat that way, which is stupid because I hate it when people use pregnancy as an excuse to get fat. Pregnancy doesn't make you fat, food does!! I'm not going on a diet people, don't freak out. I still eat carbs, dairy, meat, chips, and candy, just cutting back on the amount of candy. I'm not going to go all Jillian Michaels and throw out everything bad in my cupboard. What a waste!! I have lots of unopened bags of candy yet!! And Halloween isn't even here yet! After a few days I aleady feel better. I feel less bloated and don't have that nasty sluggish feeling you get after you eat all that crap. A meal is not complete for me until I have desert, but now it is one snack size candy bar instead of three or four. I figured if I told you all this I'll have a better chance of sticking to it. It's hard. I think I have a lack of sugar headache right now, or it could be a release of tension headache since our house rented, either way, they are both good reasons for a headache. If you need a little motivation for healthier eating check out The Bull Session on my blog list. Jenn is doing an amazing job on healthier eating and exercise. Maybe my motivation for exercise will come after the second baby. I figure taking care of a toddler all day is like low intesity aerobics! For now I'll focus on healthier food habits for the family.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are doing well pregnancy wise. I hear you on the candy overload. That is all I want some days, fortunately/unfortunately (can't decide :) ) I don't ever have any accessible. Hope you get to find out the gender soon! It won't be for a few more weeks for us, considering I don't have it scheduled yet...not sure what my deal is...I want to know just a procrastinator.

    My sister usually goes to that story time thing I thought...you may see her there sometime?!?! I suppose you could stalk her blog to see their pic! :)

    Can't wait for that belly pic. I feel big, but no one every notices.

    ReplyDelete